Why is healthy eating important?
Eating enough healthy foods, while limiting foods and beverages that aren’t as nutritious, has the potential to improve the length and quality of your life.
Some of the benefits of healthy eating include:
- Lower risk of chronic disease, including heart disease and stroke
- Better gastrointestinal health
- Better energy levels
- Improved concentration and academic achievement
- Improved athletic performance
How is healthy eating different from a diet?
Healthy eating is not like following a diet. It means eating an appropriate amount of nutrient-dense foods while limiting foods and beverages with poor nutritional value. Diets are unrealistic and unsustainable. Diets can have a negative effect on your health and sports performance because they don’t provide the right balance of nutrients. Most diets are focused on restrictive eating for weight loss, which can lead to poor concentration and mental stress. Healthy eating is about getting the right balance of nutrients regardless of your size, although reducing your intake of unhealthy foods can also lead to loss of excess weight.
How does good nutrition contribute to health and performance?
A healthy pattern of eating can help you balance your intake of foods and nutrients that science show us are important for health and performance, for example:
- Calcium and vitamin D
- Healthy fats
- Vegetables and fruits
- Whole grains
- Plant-based proteins
Healthy eating can reduce your intake of foods and nutrients that increase the risk of chronic disease and negatively impact performance, including:
- Saturated fat
- Sugary drinks
- Added sugars
- Refined grain products
- Highly processed foods
How does a dietitian help you to reach your individual goals?
A dietitian can help you design your own personalized healthy eating plan by:
- Determining which nutrients you are getting too much or not enough of
- Discussing your goals to determine a nutrition plan that best supports your personal objectives
- Providing strategies for improving your nutrition that are based on foods and beverages you like
- Helping you find ways to incorporate healthy foods into your eating habits, recipes, and meals
- Offering strategies to limit unhealthy foods and beverages, without eliminating them entirely
- Following up to support you in maintaining your efforts and offering strategies for continuing to make improvements in your eating habits
What goals can our nutrition services help you to achieve?
You could benefit from meeting with our dietitian if you are interested in:
- Establishing a sustainable eating pattern that can help you to live a healthier life
- Developing an eating plan to reduce risks associated with chronic diseases that run in your family
- Creating strategies for a pattern of eating that focuses on healthy foods and beverages, without the stress that comes from trying to follow restrictive fad diets
- Eating a balanced diet that improves quality of life by reducing digestive issues and increasing energy levels
- Learning how to make dietary modifications that you’re interested in, such as becoming a vegetarian, reducing intake of refined carbohydrates, or increasing your intake of plant-based proteins
- Designing a balanced eating plan that supports your performance during training
- Determining the best strategies for nutrition and hydration during competition